Wednesday, July 10, 2013

MIDWEST MOMENTS


He Said:   Hello from Hull, Mass.  If things work out this will be our last nite here.  We’re heading tomorrow for Scituate if the weather is ok and believe it or not if the rest of our boat stuff gets finished.  Doug, our mechanic, thought we were in the Midwest this week not last, so nothing from the mechanic side got done. We have stayed here an extra 2 or 3 days, oh well, sort of getting used to changing plans.


We have enjoyed our 12 days here but 7 of them were spent back in Columbus and Chicago. I had a good time catching up with my family, brothers, sisters-in-law, lots of nephews and nieces, and great nephews and great nieces.  Is that confusing or is it just me?   Also spent time with my nearly 87 year old mom, the Barb.  Her health seems to be about as good as it can be at that age.  I had a chance to do a little boating and golfing with my brothers; it was a good trip.  I also had a chance to visit with 2 old friends Randy and Denny, and it was fun catching up with both of them.
 

I headed to Chicago on July 2nd for the 4th of July wedding of Pat’s niece.  We stayed with her brother the first nite then downtown Chicago on the 3rd and 4th.  It was pretty cool staying in the middle of town especially after staying in the 3 little towns we have stayed in the past 6 ½ weeks.  The wedding was wonderful, and we had a chance to get together with all of Pat’s family.  It was the first time in about 12 years they were all in the same place at the same time.  We had a great brunch on Friday morning hosted by Jim and Paula then we were off to the airport for our flight back to Boston.
 

The past 4 days we have accomplished very little.  It’s tough getting stuff done during a long holiday weekend.  I forgot to tell you, but we had some ride to Logan Airport on that Friday.  We took a 21 foot boat from the Marina here in Hull and headed into the Boston Harbor.  There were about 5 foot waves so at the end of our 45 minute ride we were soaked! 

 
We’re hanging on the boat today waiting for the mechanic, our local fix-it guy here (Jay), and having our sewage stuff taken care of.  It’s pretty cool - they come to your boat to suck it out (sorry about the language). The following week or so we will be in Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, Provincetown and Nantucket.  It should be lots of fun with new scenery and new marinas.

Jack and his younger twin brother from another mother, Jay, our fix-it guy
 
 
That’s about it for now.  Sorry not too much to report.  Thanks for you guys that have been responding to our blog.  We really do appreciate it.  L8R for now, Jack   
 

She Said:  We’re back from the Midwest.  Getting there was quite an event.  The marina we’re staying at took us to the airport by boat.  The weather was rainy and windy so it was a rough, wet ride - but a fun way to get to the airport.  Due to delays I didn’t get to my brother’s house until 2am -  almost 12 hours door to door 

I had been looking forward to this trip for so long, and I wasn’t disappointed.  I met up with a longtime friend Jody, who I’ve known for almost 40 years; old neighbors, Ken & Debi who I’ve known for 25+ years; and a group of co-workers who I worked with starting over 25 years ago.  It was great fun connecting up with everyone.  I know I’ll see some of these people along the ICW as we make our way south. 

I was in Chicago for my niece’s wedding.  My parents were in from Las Vegas as well as my sister, Donna, and niece, Hailey.  While in Chicago my brother and sister-in-law, Steve and Cindy, hosted the family at their house for some great home dinners.  I got a chance to visit with all my nieces and nephews.  It was a lot of fun.  Jack got in town Tuesday night.  The wedding was in “the city” so we were able to walk around downtown Chicago (when it wasn’t raining) Wednesday and Thursday.  I got all my Chicago favorites – a hot dog, Garrett’s popcorn, and Lou Malnati’s pizza.
 
I won’t bore you with all the wedding details.  I will only tell you that it was a wonderful event, the bride was stunning and I enjoyed being with my whole family.  I think everyone had a great time starting with the rehearsal dinner Wednesday night straight through to brunch on Friday.
 


Hailey, Donna, Dad, Mom, Jack and me leaving the hotel for the wedding
 

 
The bride being walked down the aisle with my brother, Steve
 


Lauren dancing with Grandpa
 
 


 
We got back to the boat late Friday night, and it was good to be home.  Not much was done while were gone so we’ll be staying here a few more days.  That worked out well, because we were able to enjoy this cute, quaint beach town.  We spent Saturday afternoon at the beach.  Jack went in the ocean; I only went in up to my knees.  The water temperature was in the mid-60s – bbrrrrrrr.  That night we watched fireworks from the back of the boat.  The weather was hot and sticky, and I felt like I was spending the day at Lake Geneva WI.  What a life! 
 

We had another great dinner at a local seafood restaurant here in Hull called The Schooner.  We went with Captain Doug and Joanne and had a very pleasant evening.  We’ll miss Captain Doug’s help and friendship when we leave here.  Our plan is to travel a short day on Wednesday to Scituate and stay “on the ball.”  Then we’ll head to Provincetown on Cape Cod.   Keep your fingers crossed for uneventful cruise.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are back on a floating home and look forward to future postings. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you come back to Chicago??? Miss you both already!! Had a blast celebrating, thank you for making the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack and Pat

    I love reading your adventures. I am amazed how much your lives have changed in such a short time. Keep me posted on your travels and if you have an estimated time arrival to the Maryland area. I would love to fly out to see you guys and another close friend that is in the area.

    Keep on Sailing. Hugs to you both
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. wildtim@aol.com

    Great wedding pictures Pat!

    ReplyDelete